Unlike in years past, I'm not going to use my birthday as a time to set goals. We are still learning about what our lives are like now. In a couple of months, we will be moving to a totally new city and I will be starting a totally new job. How could I possibly know what goals will be useful? What will be feasible?
So instead of focusing on what I have not yet achieved I'm going to take a cue from a friend from college, and focus on my accomplishments. In lieu of a To Do list, this birthday will feature a "Done, Bitches!" list.* Feel free to join in aloud after each item in the list.
- Start swimming again (DONE, BITCHES!)
- Visit a new country (BELGIUM IS TOTALLY DONE, BITCHES!)
- Get a job (DONE, BITCHES!)
- Write a new paper (DONE, BITCHES!)
- Finish my dissertation (DONE, BITCHES!)
- Defend my PhD (DONE, BITCHES!)
- Have a kid (TOTALLY FREAKING DONE, BITCHES!)
Not too shabby when I write it that way!
*The main advantage of the DONE, BITCHES list? You don't have to think about the things that didn't make the list! Or things that will be on the next list!