Tuesday, June 1, 2010

30

I turned 30 last month. Crazy, eh? With all the changes around here, I almost missed it.

Unlike in years past, I'm not going to use my birthday as a time to set goals. We are still learning about what our lives are like now. In a couple of months, we will be moving to a totally new city and I will be starting a totally new job. How could I possibly know what goals will be useful? What will be feasible?

So instead of focusing on what I have not yet achieved I'm going to take a cue from a friend from college, and focus on my accomplishments. In lieu of a To Do list, this birthday will feature a "Done, Bitches!" list.* Feel free to join in aloud after each item in the list.

  • Start swimming again (DONE, BITCHES!)
  • Visit a new country (BELGIUM IS TOTALLY DONE, BITCHES!)
  • Get a job (DONE, BITCHES!)
  • Write a new paper (DONE, BITCHES!)
  • Finish my dissertation (DONE, BITCHES!)
  • Defend my PhD (DONE, BITCHES!)
  • Have a kid (TOTALLY FREAKING DONE, BITCHES!)
Not too shabby when I write it that way!


*The main advantage of the DONE, BITCHES list? You don't have to think about the things that didn't make the list! Or things that will be on the next list!

No comments: